Wine bars are like the Baskin-Robbins of the wine world. There are multiple flavors to choose from. You can sample before you decide and the people behind the counter are happy to tell you all about the flavors. Who wouldn’t love that!!!
Tasting wine is an experience for all. The secret to wine tasting is; if you don’t know, ask. Staff at a wine bar love wine and can’t wait to share with you.
Don’t believe me? Here are a few more secrets that will make it a snap!!!
- Choose a wine bar in a neighborhood you know. That will help you feel all the more at home.
- Walk in with an open mind. Be willing to try something new.
- Wine Bars organize their tastings by flights. A flight is a grouping of wine based on similarity. For example; a sparking flight would include sparkling wines from around the world. (e.g.; Cava, Prosecco or Champagne)
- If unsure where to start go with white. If can’t choose, ASK!
- Once you have chosen a flight, order snacks. Pairing wine with food is a great way to see how wine works with sweet or salty food. Again, if you don’t know what to choose, ASK!
- Now here comes the fun part, tasting!!!
- o Go from driest to sweetest, light to dark, or white to red depending on the flight.
- o Taste with food and without.
- o Keep in mind what you do and don’t like about what you have tasted for the next time.
- o If you like a certain wine; ask your waiter to tell you about it. Where is comes from? Where you can buy it? Is there something special about it?
- Have Fun! The only thing that is important is that you like it.
Now that you have the basics you’re ready to give it a try. Grabs some friends, hit a bar and pull up a glass!!!
Check in often for my #WineFlights – My two cents on local wine bars.